Thursday 6 August 2009

PRIDE

What a great day we had at Nottingham Pride. Many thanks to everyone who turned up. And special thanks to the Pride committee for their naked midsummer ritual that ensured good weather. Having to work most weekends I don't get much chance to visit Prides, but there's another one I definitely don't want to miss.


Sunday 16th August is Doncaster Pride. There was some controversy after the local government elections in May when the town's new Mayor declared that he'd withdraw the money the council had already promised Doncaster Pride because he said the LGBT community wasn't worth it. It did some good though because there's been more interest in Doncaster Pride than ever before. I've a personal interest in going because I was born there, so I'd like to give my support.


I'd like to step outside our heritage border briefly to look at Doncaster's links. Doncaster is on the edge of Barnsdale, where the original Robin Hood ballad was set. It was also where the Earl of Lancaster declared his opposition to Nottingham Castle's queenly couple Edward II and Piers Gaveston. This led to the defeat of the Lancaster Rebellion and the outlawing of many people - including one Robert Hood of Wakefield.


The town is also the home of Robin Hood's co-murderer Sir Roger of Doncaster, and where legend says Robin founded St. Mary Magdelene's chapel.

Not far from Doncaster is the old RAF Finningley, also on the edge of Barnsdale. Actually, until 1972 Finningley was in Nottinghamshire so should feature in our project, and in the 1960s my uncle Group Captain Jimmy Cromarty, OBE, (who sadly died a couple of weeks ago) was station commander. RAF Finningley is now called, appropriately, Robin Hood Airport.Unfortunately my plans to get to Doncaster Pride may be scuppered by the absence of decent transport links - I can get there in time to catch the last bus back! Wish me luck!


To return to Nottinghamshire's Rainbow Heritage click on www.nottsrainbowheritage.org.uk

No comments: